An emerging-media specialist and public relations/marketing coordinator. Background includes social media practioner, basic web development/HTML coding, press release writing and editing, membership newsletter writing and distribution, digital archiving of content, and event planning.
Seeking to gain additional skills in video content creation and distribution and new media applications, and to advance web development XTML skills and responsive design techniques.
• Bachelor’s of Art History/Museum Studies Minor, University of Texas at El Paso,
May 2013, 500 West University Avenue, El Paso, TX 79968
Cumulative GPA: 3.68 Cum Laude Honors
• St. Mary’s College of California,
Aug. 2008-Jan. 2010 1928 Saint Mary’s
• Ygnacio Valley High School,
2008 graduate, 755 Oak Grove Road, Concord, CA 94518
Cumulative GPA: 3.88 Rank in class: 21 out of 353
The University of Texas at El Paso
• Adair Margo Fine Art / Tom Lea Institute, El Paso, TX:
Digital Library Archivist and Membership Coordinator,
• University of Texas at El Paso Athletics
Department Internship, El Paso, TX:
Duties: Basketball statistics, media guide editing.
Jan. 2013-May 2013.
• Build-A-Bear Workshop,
El Paso, TX: part-time sales clerk, Feb. 2010-December 2010
Walnut Creek, CA: part-time sales clerk, Aug. 2009-Jan. 2010
• Golden State Warriors Intern, Oakland, CA: Duties: Deal with media during home games by running stats, checking credentials, getting quotes from players, preparing media room. 2004-2009.
• Cum Laude Honors, The University of Texas at El Paso, May 2013
• Departmental award recipient of Outstanding Achievement in Art History, The University of Texas at El Paso, 2013
• Deans List, The University of Texas at El Paso, Fall 2011, Spring 2011, Fall 2012
• 21st Century Scholar, The University of Texas at El Paso, February 2012
• The National Society of Collegiate Scholars, inducted April, 2011
• National Student Leadership Conference, summer 2006: Participated in week-long seminar at Stanford University, where we prepared for and conducted a mock criminal trial
• Hip Hop Dance Company, Dance Connection Performing Arts Center, Concord, CA, 2005-2007: Dance in competitions all over Bay Area and national competition in Palm Springs in 2006
Volunteer work, Christ the King church homeless breakfast, 2005-2006
I remember, at age 7, sitting under my father’s desk while he finished his day at The Denver Post. In the fifth grade I would wait for my dad in his office at The Contra Costa Times. In both newsrooms I grew up in, as the child of a working journalist, I got to know the many reporters and editors who filled the rows of desks. Maybe that’s why they call me a “newsroom rug rat.”
I was born in Pueblo, Colorado, in 1989, and moved to Denver with my family in 1993... In 2000, my father and I moved to Walnut Creek, California, located in the San Francisco Bay Area, where his journalism career took him. I grew up in the newsrooms of the Denver Post and the Contra Costa Times, where my dad worked, so I have been around media and journalism my entire life. When I was 14, I started interning with the Golden State Warriors. I worked with the Warriors public relations staff for 6 years – four years during high school and my first two years of college. That was one of the greatest, most fun experiences of my life. I loved my duties of working in the media room and running stats during the games. I have always been a sports fan and I love that type of environment.
I moved to El Paso, Texas in 2010 and transferred to the University of Texas at El Paso. Before my classes began I started working part time with Adair Margo in her art gallery, and with the Tom Lea Institute. I did not know much about art and Ms. Margo suggested I take an art history class at UTEP. I did, and I fell in love with it. After that I decided to make Art History my major with a minor in Museum Studies. I have now been working with the Tom Lea Institute for nearly three years. It has provided with me many great learning opportunities and an inside look at how art galleries and non-profits are run. I have now completed my undergraduate degree at UTEP and am moving to Dallas to pursue my master’s degree in program called “Emerging Media and Communications” at the University of Texas at Dallas. My focus is to use emerging media trends to build new audiences for clients like the Tom Lea Institute. At this stage of my career, I am capable of creating content and distributing it through traditional media platforms and through new media applications.